Keeping your braces on is the best way to make sure your teeth are straightened and beautiful. If your braces are not attached to your teeth, your teeth will not move into the proper place. Here are our tips and tricks for keeping your braces intact and functioning properly:
- Do not chem gum! Not even gum that “doesn’t stick to dental work”. Gum sticks to braces, pulls braces off, & bends wires.
- Do not bite into anything with your front teeth. Cut everything into small pieces & chew on your back teeth. Cut fruit into small pieces (applesauce is a good alternative). Pull meat off the bone (wings, chicken, ribs), cut corn off the cob, cut sandwiches & burgers into halves/quarters & chew on your back teeth.
- Avoid hard & crunchy foods. Do not eat popcorn, bagged pretzels, hard chips (Doritos, Tostitos, Fritos, Cheetos).
- Do not eat ice.
- Avoid hard & sticky candy. Do not eat/chew tootsie rolls, now-or-later candy, jolly ranchers, suckers/lollipops, starburst, skittles, etc.
- Do not chew pens, pencils, fingernails.
Stay on a soft diet for the first week while getting used to your braces. Foods such as soup, chicken pot pie, creamed corn, macaroni & cheese, & mashed potatoes are good options. If your teeth get sore DO NOT BE ALARMED, this means they’re moving & that’s what we want! You may take Ibuprofen, Advil or Motrin for relief. If you experience an emergency not listed on our website, or feel that it is medically necessary, call our office for further instructions.
KEEP YOUR TEETH & BRACES CLEAN! Oral hygiene is very important. If not kept clean, the bacteria that you leave behind can cause discoloration/chalky spots, cavities, swollen & bleeding gums. Brush teeth thoroughly after every meal & floss every night.
Keep your appointments & take care of your braces to ensure the shortest treatment time!