When you have braces, you have restrictions on which foods you can eat. Some foods could damage traditional braces. But with Invisalign®, there are no food restrictions because you remove the aligner trays when you eat. Since the aligner trays are not in the mouth during meals, you can eat whatever you want because the trays will not be affected by the food you consume. Since you won’t be wearing your trays during the meal, you can eat like you normally would.
If you are experiencing some discomfort adjusting to your new aligner trays, soft foods like eggs, yogurt and pasta can help ease any discomfort.
Brush and Floss After Every Meal
It is extremely important that you brush and floss after every meal. Never put your aligner trays back in without brushing first. Sticky and sugary foods can cling to the surfaces of the teeth and promote tooth decay. If you put your aligner trays back in before properly cleaning your teeth, you can trap this food debris and create an environment for cavities and tooth decay.
Staining the Aligner Trays
If you are a smoker, always remove your aligner trays before smoking. Smoking can stain your aligner trays.
Always remove your Invisalign® aligner trays before eating or drinking something that could permanently stain them. This includes coffee, tea and wine. Your aligner trays are made of a clear thermoplastic, which is sensitive to heat. Always remember that hot liquids may distort the shape of the aligner tray and affect its ability to perform as prescribed.
Best Foods to Eat with Invisalign®
There are no restrictions on eating with Invisalign® (you can eat anything you want to) – but there are some foods that are healthier for teeth than others. Here are some great foods to eat to support the health of your teeth whether you’re wearing Invisalign® or not:
- Cheese – It’s rich in calcium, vitamin D and healthy fats.
- Yogurt – It provides a lot of calcium, protein and beneficial bacteria.
- Apples – When you eat an apple, your body produces more saliva that helps to wash away bacteria and any leftover food particles from your mouth.
- Carrots – Their crunchy texture can help clear away food particles and plaque, and encourage your mouth to produce saliva.
- Leafy Greens – Leafy greens are packed with minerals and vitamins that your body needs to keep bones strong (and teeth are bones). They’re also high in calcium.
- Almonds – They provide you with calcium and protein, and their crunch can help to protect your teeth from plaque growth.
- Celery – It’s filled with vitamins, and the texture helps to clear away food particles in the teeth.
- Cucumbers – Their high water content hydrates the mouth as you eat, and the chewing motion is great for your teeth.
- Onions – They contain antibacterial properties that can help kill off the bacteria that might be breeding in your mouth.
To learn more about Invisalign® treatments, contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation. Wright Orthodontics has two convenient locations to serve you in Atlanta and Marietta, Georgia. As always, your initial consultation at Wright Orthodontics is offered free of charge with no hidden fees.